Re: pg_upgrade error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, May  9, 2013 at 06:16:31PM +0530, Ramesh naik wrote:
> hello there,
>
> we are getting struck with this error while upgrading while upgrading from 9.1
> to 9.2
>

> -bash-4.1$ clear
> -bash-4.1$ /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/pg_upgrade -c  --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/9.1/
> data --new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/9.2/data --old-bindir=/usr/pgsql-9.1/bin
> --new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-9.2/bin
> Performing Consistency Checks
> -----------------------------
> Checking current, bin, and data directories                 ok
> Checking cluster versions                                   ok
> Checking database user is a superuser                       ok
> Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
> Checking for reg* system OID user data types                ok
> Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok
> Checking for presence of required libraries                 ok
> Checking database user is a superuser                       ok
>
> Only the install user can be defined in the new cluster.
> Failure, exiting
>

> Can anyone help me in this regard..

You must only have the install user defined in the new cluster.  Either
they are not defiend, or a second user is also defined.  If you execute
'SELECT * from pg_authid' in the new cluster, I think you will see the
problem.  Our C comments say:

     *  We only allow the install user in the new cluster because other
     *  defined users might match users defined in the old cluster and
     *  generate an error during pg_dump restore.

Let me know what you find in case I can improve the error message.