Re: Installation on Ubuntu 13.04 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Installation on Ubuntu 13.04
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Martin Pitt 2013-05-06 <20130507044020.GD2875@piware.de>
> > Martin: What do you think about generating the logrotate config at
> > install (configuration) time so we can drop the fixed logrotate
> > depends/breaks? Using "ucf" for generated files in /etc/ is pretty
> > easy to do, the open question would be how to detect that logrotate
> > was just upgraded and that we need to re-generate the file. Maybe with
> > a trigger on /usr/sbin/logrotate? Or is that too much magic? (Are we
> > aware of other packages that have this problem?)
>
> It's too much magic for my taste. With conffiles there's so much that
> can go wrong, and one often runs into situations where they cannot be
> updated automatically.

I'm less worried about that part, ucf is really good at that. It would
be using a similar sed/awk rule like we have now, and the result of
that is the new template that is presented to the admin. (It even
supports 3-way merges.)

> But in the end I don't think that this is such a big problem; the
> non-LTS releases are really not a good thing to deploy PostgreSQL on,
> especially now that from 13.04 on they are only supported for 9
> months. So perhaps the right answer for now is just "don't do that
> then"?

People still like to do development on their laptops...

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/