Re: Installation on Ubuntu 13.04 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: Installation on Ubuntu 13.04
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Martin Pitt 2013-05-03 <20130503165553.GB2818@piware.de>
> > Just wondering if it is possible to install 9.2 on Ubuntu 13.04?
> > And then to specify postgresql-common
> > sudo apt-get install postgresql-9.2 postgresql-common
> >  postgresql-common : Breaks: logrotate (>= 3.8) but 3.8.3-3ubuntu2 is to be
> > installed
>
> That's indeed the root of the problem.
>
> However, postgresql-common in Ubuntu 13.04 itself is already at
> version 140 and works just fine with -9.2. So I wonder why it's trying
> to take p-common from pgdg instead of Ubuntu 13.04. Can you please
> send the output of
>
>   apt-cache policy postgresql-common

The pgdg repositories are (now) using the default priority, so apt
will prefer the pgdg packages over the native ones. It just isn't
smart enough to figure out that the raring package would have worked.

Martin: What do you think about generating the logrotate config at
install (configuration) time so we can drop the fixed logrotate
depends/breaks? Using "ucf" for generated files in /etc/ is pretty
easy to do, the open question would be how to detect that logrotate
was just upgraded and that we need to re-generate the file. Maybe with
a trigger on /usr/sbin/logrotate? Or is that too much magic? (Are we
aware of other packages that have this problem?)

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Attachment