Re: top posting? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim Mercer
Subject Re: top posting?
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 11:15:09AM -0700, Craig James wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, I see comments like this all the time:
>
> > (*please* stop top-posting).

top posting is just lazy.

bottom posting, equally so.

one should be replying in-line, with context, and removing extraneous content.

> The most efficient strategy, one that respects other members' time, is to
> briefly summarize your point at the TOP of a posting, then to *briefly*
> quote only the relevant parts of the post to which you are replying, and
> bottom-post after the quoted text.  That lets your reader quickly see if
> it's relevant or not, and move on to the next post.

summarizing your thoughts at the top of the post, and then leaving the
remainder intact, untouched, is just plain laziness, and shows your contempt
for the reader.

> Contributors in these newsgroups seem to think it's OK to quote five pages
> of someone else's response, then add one or two sentences at the bottom ...

i find that top posting is far more prevalent than bottom posting, but
both are just signs of laziness.

--jim

--
Jim Mercer     Reptilian Research      jim@reptiles.org    +1 416 410-5633
"He who dies with the most toys is nonetheless dead"