Re: Remaining beta blockers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Remaining beta blockers
Date
Re: Remaining beta blockers  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-05-03 16:11:13 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 1:12 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > I was more thinking of the idea of having some status on the first page
> > that might need to change in a future release.
>
> Incidentally, another option might be to have a <relfilenode>.meta
> fork that has information like this. It doesn't fundamentally change
> anything but it does mean that code that doesn't need to know about it
> doesn't need to know to skip the first page. It also means  we could
> maybe expand it more easily. There have been previous wishlist items
> to have some meta information so external tools can more easily parse
> the data without needing access to the full catalog for example.

The problem with an extra metadata fork is that it essentially would
double the files in a cluster and it would also noticeably increase the
amount of open files we need.
There have been quite some complaints about CREATE DATABASE speed, I
am not sure we want to make it even slower :(

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services