Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 10:11:48PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >Allow tooling like pg_receivexlog to run on computers with different architectures (Heikki Linnakangas)
>
> This probably should be mentioned in the backwards-compatibility
> section. Any 3rd party tools that speak the streaming replication
> protocol are affected.
>
> >E.1.3.2.1. Write-Ahead Log (WAL)
> >
> >    Store WAL in a continuous stream, rather than skipping the last 16MB segment every 4GB (Heikki Linnakangas)
BACKWARDCOMPATIBLE BREAK

> >    Restructure WAL files to better handle timeline changes during recovery (Heikki Linnakangas)
> >
> >    Restructure WAL files to use a more compact storage format (Heikki Linnakangas)
>
> Can you clarify which commits these came from? The first one is
> clear (dfda6eba), and I think the 3rd covers commits 20ba5ca6 and
> 061e7efb1. But what is that second entry?

Frankly, I found the WAL and timeline commits all over the place and
could hardly make sense of it.  I tried to collapse entries into
meaningful items, but I need help.  Can you suggest changes?

http://enterprisedb.com