Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Meskes
Subject Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:27:53PM +0200, damien clochard wrote:
> Now I understand that Heroku (and other DBaaS providers) may host
> hundreds of thousand PostgreSQL servers and I understand that upgrading
> so many servers in a few hours is something very hard to acheive. But

And the other question that comes up is why are we only talking about this in
the context of a DBaaS provider. Lets just create an example. Assume you have a
distributed system storing all the data about the whole population for a
country with one database per municipality. This could lead to a lot of
databases and obviously the same problems, but no one, at least so far, would
consider them a packager. So they would have the same deployment problem but no
access to the fix before the end of our embargo time.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at gmail dot com