Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Martin Pitt
Subject Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Christoph Berg [2013-02-14 10:29 +0100]:
> I see the point. The behavior is in line with backport.debian.org's
> "principle of least surprise", i.e. you will only get upgraded to
> these packages if you explicitely ask for it. For Ubuntu PPA users the
> expectation might be the other way round ("I configured the repo, so
> please take over my system") - I'm not sure which way is the better
> one to default to.

Debian/Ubuntu backports potentially affect the whole system, so almost
every user will only want to pick a package or two, not all of them.
Also, the point of those "NotAutomatic" flag was that you can even add
the apt source by default everywhere.

Most PPAs, as well as apt.pg.org are "topic" repositories which IMHO you
would usually enable because you want to use them.

Martin