Re: Considering Gerrit for CFs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Considering Gerrit for CFs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-02-06 13:25:31 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Mind you, when I explained our current CF review workflow for the SF
> ReviewFest last year, the attendees thought I was insane. It's kept me
> from doing more reviewfests. Our current workflow and tooling is
> definitely a serious obstacle to gettng more reviewers.  Seems like a
> good topic for the developer meeting.

I personally feel that the CF process isn't limited by technicalities
like the commitfest UI or by the lack of random reviewers. Its limited
by the amount of available reviewer time of people with in-depth
knowledge of pg and committer bandwith.
Trying to solve that problem via technical means doesn't seem likely to
work out very well.

> >> The existing Gerrit community would be keen to have the PostgreSQL
> >> project as a major user, though, and would theoretically help with
> >> modification needs.  Current major users are OpenStack, Mediawiki,
> >> LibreOffice and QT.

There's also android as a rather major user...

> > I just took a quick look at their system, and when they start talking
> > about requirements in the 100's of Gb of RAM, 24 core machines and
> > SSD, I get scared :) But that's to "scale" it - doesn't mention when
> > you need to do anything like that. I'm assuming we'd be tiny.

Well, with gerrit you do far more work inside the application in
comparison to what we are doing today in the CF app, so part of this
probably is just that more work is running through it...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services