Re: Approval of duplicate message ids - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Approval of duplicate message ids
Date
List pgsql-www
Tom Lane wrote:
> Last night, somebody seems to approved a bucketload of duplicate
> messages to pgsql-general, which judging from their headers were all
> injected by the same mail-agent fart at deltacom.com a couple of days
> ago.  I know that the mail list software recognized these as duplicates,
> because back when it happened I got bounces related to the ones that had
> originally been from me.  But apparently, nonetheless they went into the
> moderation queue and somebody whose sense of deja vu wasn't strong
> enough eventually approved them.

Yeah, apparently a moderator messed up.

I removed the deltacom.com subscriber the day you reported it.  (I
forgot to reply here, sorry.)

> Why is that?  Why aren't duplicate messageids/checksums rejected out of
> hand?  Or at least clearly flagged to the moderators as something they
> should almost certainly reject not approve?

I don't think there's any reason why we don't reject duplicates.  I just
copied the setting from the older system without thinking very much
about it.

> [ looks a bit closer... ]  Also, it might be a good idea to summarily
> block mail.deltacom.com until they fix their problem, because it looks
> like there was a second batch of dups submitted yesterday.

Not sure about this.  If we see a problem again, I will look into that.