Re: 8.4 doc bug for "Incrementally Updated Backups" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: 8.4 doc bug for "Incrementally Updated Backups"
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 01:56:27PM -0800, Jeff Janes wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> >> Even if that is the version they are using?  It is, after all, still
> >> under maintenance,
> >
> > There are three options for doc patches:
> >
> > 1.  patch only git head, meaning the next major release
> > 2.  do #1, plus the most recent major released version, e.g. 9.2.X
> > 3.  #1, #2, and all major supported released versions
> >
> > In general, #1 is normally for wording clarifications, #2 is for usage
> > clarifications, and #3 is to correct mistakes.  Not sure I follow that
> > 100%, but that is what I normally do.
> >
> > Is that process good?  Did I not follow it?
>
> It was removed from 9.0 because it was considered to be unreliable.  I
> think that unreliable advice about taking backups is a mistake, so it
> should have followed path #3.  I guess it is also clarification, but a
> pretty major one.

I checked just now and the unreliable advice does not appear in 8.4, so
it possible that in 2010 I checked and found it only applied back to
9.0, or I might only have checked 9.0.  I don't remember now, but based
on the fact it was an incorrect recommendation, I probably would have
backpatched it as far back as possible.  Sorry I was unclear on this
issue in previous emails.