Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Browne escribió:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > On 10/29/12 6:40 AM, Chris Corbyn wrote:
> >> What's the use case of this? It sounds like it will just create a maintenance nightmare where some stuff you
expectto lookup in in postgresql.conf is actually hiding in the .auto file. Assuming only super users/sysadmins would
havethe ability to change things in the config file, wouldn't they be more likely to just do it on the server and edit
the.conf (which among other things, keeps it tidy and orderly).

> > The use is the ability to manage dozens, or hundreds, of PostgreSQL
> > servers via Port 5432.  It would also make writing an auto-configurator
> > easier.
> >
> > I agree that there's not much benefit if you're only managing a single
> > PostgreSQL server.  There's a lot of benefit for those of us who have to
> > manage a lot of them though.
>
> I rather think that the fact that postgresql.conf has supported an
> "include directive" since at least as far back as 8.2 (likely further;
> I'll not bother spelunking further into the docs) makes this extremely
> troublesome.

This is precisely the reason why "source file" and "source line" are now
tracked for configuration parameters.  If a setting is in the auto file
(or any other file), it would be very simple to find.