Re: Query-Planer from 6seconds TO DAYS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Query-Planer from 6seconds TO DAYS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Böckler Andreas wrote:

> b) they high seq costs might be true for that table (partition at
>    40gb), but not for the rest of the database Seqscan-Costs per
>    table would be great.

You can set those per tablespace. Again, with about 40 spindles in
our RAID, we got about ten times the speed with a sequential scan as
random access, and an index scan has to hit more pages (index and
heap rather than just the heap), so you can easily shoot yourself in
the foot by assuming that accessing a large portion of the table by
index is faster.

Really, if you stop focusing on what you think the solution is, and
provide a more clear statement of your problem, with sufficient
datail, you are likely to get a real solution.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

-Kevin