Re: pg_upgrade not detecting version properly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade not detecting version properly
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:35:06AM -0600, Chris Ernst wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 09:56 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Can you show me what is in the PG_VERSION file in the old cluster?  It
> > should be "9.1".
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Thank you for the reply.  Indeed it is "9.1":
>
> # cat /postgresql/9.1/main/PG_VERSION
> 9.1
>
> And just for good measure:
>
> cat /postgresql/9.2/main/PG_VERSION
> 9.2
>
> And there are no other PostgreSQL versions on this machine.
>
> Hmm... I was just about to send this when something else occurred to me.
>  I had initially tried to run pg_upgrade as root and it said it couldn't
> be run as root.  So I've been running it as my own user (which is in the
> postgres group).  However, everything in /postgresql/9.1/main is owned
> by postgres with 700 permissions.
>
> I switched to the postgres user and now pg_upgrade is running.  Perhaps
> just a more informative error message is in order.
>
> Thank you for the shove in the right direction =)

Oops, that code was returning zero if it couldn't open the file.  The
attached, applied patch to head and 9.2 issues a proper error message.

Seems this "zero return" has been in the code since the beginning.  :-(

Attachment