Re: pg_upgrade does not completely honor --new-port - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not completely honor --new-port
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct  3, 2012 at 05:16:55PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from Devrim GÜNDÜZ's message of mié oct 03 17:00:16 -0300 2012:
> >
> > Hi,

> > > Well, the reason people normally use the port number is to do a live
> > > check, but obviously when the script is created it isn't doing a
> > > check.  I am worried that if I do embed the port number in there, then
> > > if they change the port after the upgrade, they now can't use the
> > > script.  I assume users would have PGPORT set before running the
> > > script, no?
> >
> > They can't use the script in each way -- at least we can make it usable
> > for one case, I think.
>
> Well, you could have the script set the port number only if the variable
> is not set from the calling shell ... you know,
> PGPORT=${PGPORT:=the_other_number} .  That way, if the user wants to
> specify a different port, they have to set PGPORT before calling the
> script.

Good idea, but that is only going to work on Unix, and in fact only
using certain shells.  I don't think we want to go there, do we?  I
could expand that out to a normal shell _if_ statement, but again, only
works on Unix.

What we _could_ do is to add a comment line at the top that defines a
string that can be supplied, and default it to the port number;  that
would work on Unix and Windows, e.g.
# uncomment and adjust if you want a special port number# PGPORT_STR="-p 5435"# export PGPORT

For Windows it would be "REM".  Is everyone happy with that?

http://enterprisedb.com