Re: problem logging on with new everyday user - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: problem logging on with new everyday user
Date
List pgsql-novice
John <mrbruno@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am a newbie and just installed PostgreSQL 8.4 on Ubuntu.  I can get in with
> my postgres user but when I create an "everyday" user, I can't login with it:
>
> johnp@sussancws0114:~/downloads$ /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/psql   -U postgres
> Password for user postgres:
> psql (8.4.14)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> Cannot read termcap database;
> using dumb terminal settings.
> postgres=# drop user johnp;
> DROP ROLE
> postgres=# create user bruno password 'hello';
> CREATE ROLE
> postgres=# \du
>             List of roles
>  Role name | Attributes  | Member of
> -----------+-------------+-----------
>  bruno     |             | {}
>  postgres  | Superuser   | {}
>            : Create role
>            : Create DB
>
> postgres=# \q
> johnp@sussancws0114:~/downloads$ /opt/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/psql   -U bruno
> Password for user bruno:
> psql: FATAL:  database "bruno" does not exist
> johnp@sussancws0114:~/downloads$
>

> What am I doing wrong?

Read the error-message, you have an user 'bruno', but no database
'bruno'. This should work: psql -U bruno postgres (the last parameter is
the database to connect) or create a own database with 'create database
bruno'.

Andreas