Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 19:14:28 -0700
Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:

> So people are using PostgreSQL in roles that aren't very visible
> anyway, DBA's are usually coming to PostgreSQL from other RDBMS's,
> and few applications are really distributed for PostgreSQL.

I know a bunch of people working for huge sites that love Postgres but
use MySQL. The main reason is they build what Postgres is famous for at
a higher level and in a more specialized way with their own glue.

It's easy to get visibility if you're on the internet and you're huge.

But not everyone can "rebuild" eg. transactions at a higher level and
need as much specialized solutions.

On the other hand for historical reasons MySQL and PHP have nearly
monopolized the hosting space and for many web sites it's hard to
appreciate the difference between Postgres and MySQL (unless your DB
crash and burn).

That's what most people perceive as "the mainstream" if you don't have
a big marketing dept lying.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it