Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: smart shutdown at end of transaction (was: Default mode for shutdown)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Friday, April 27, 2012 07:42:59 PM Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > It occurs to me that we may need a new mode, which disconnects sessions
> > that are not in a transaction (or as soon as they are) but leaves
> > in-progress transactions alone; this could be the new default.  Of
> > course, this is much more difficult to implement than the current modes.
>
> This idea appeared to have some support.  I'd like to suggest that we
> take this a step further.  Instead of adding a fourth mode, I'd like
> to suggest that we redefine "smart" to have the behavior described
> above.  This is based on the theory that (1) people who like smart
> shutdown like it because it allows currently-running transactions to
> complete without error, and will find it acceptable to have idle
> transactions terminated immediately and other sessions terminated
> after the command completes; and (2) people who dislike smart shutdown
> (such as me) dislike it primarily because a completely idle session
> that someone's forgotten to close can prevent shutdown indefinitely.
> Either part of this theory could be wrong, of course, although I'm
> pretty sure #2 holds for me personally at the least.
I think the current smart mode is rather useful. There is quite some stuff
that you cannot do inside a transaction - or it doesn't make sense - which
still needs to shutdown gracefully. E.g. transaction managers.

Andres