software in domains (was: POSTGRESQL Newbie) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject software in domains (was: POSTGRESQL Newbie)
Date
List pgsql-general
I didn't catch this when it went by the first time, so sorry to have
missed it (and for the deep quoting):

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 09:20:02AM -0500, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Geek Matter <geekmatter@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > scott,
> >
> > thanks for quick response you mean all  the dowmain .info and .org domains
> > are using postgresql?

I want to clear this up lest some claim gets misinterpreted and
repeated elsewhere.  The domain name registry for .info and .org --
that is, the system that makes sure that at most one person in the
world has control of a domain name in either of those domains -- uses
PostgreSQL under the hood.  I was fortunate enough to have had a small
role in the launch of both of those systems and several others at
Afilias.  Unless something significant has changed (and I have reason
to believe it hasn't), the real-time changes to the DNS information in
those registries and a number of others are also pumped through
PostgreSQL.  I do not speak for Afilias, and I am not associated with
them in any way any more.

The domain registries do not have any control over what software
people use in sites using names in that registry: if you register
example.info, Afilias has nothing to do with what software you use.
I'm sure to this audience that is self-evident, but having just
returned from an ICANN meeting I am not at all sure it is self-evident
to everyone in the world.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca