Re: Interesting article, Facebook woes using MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Interesting article, Facebook woes using MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:22:18AM +0100, Stefan Keller wrote:
> Hi all
>
> 2011/7/12 Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>:
> > I am not convinced that VoltDB is a magic bullet either.  I don't
>
> I have the chance to help preparing an interview with Mike
> Stonebreaker to be published at www.odbms.org
> I'd really like to know, if he is up-to-date how Postgres performs
> these days and how he thinks how VoltDB overcame the overhead he
> claims to exist in "old elephants".
> Do you all have more questions to Mike?

I'm curious what he thinks about the role of the optimiser. IME
postgresql wins for my workloads simply because PostgreSQL is smart
enough to perform the joins in the right order and use the right
indexes. MySQL seems to have some heuristics which are wrong just often
enough to be irritating.

Oh yeah, and it doesn't have CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY, that's *really*
annoying.

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
   -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Attachment