Re: Unhelpful initdb error message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Unhelpful initdb error message
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:48:51 am Thom Brown wrote:
> On 6 March 2012 17:45, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 9:25:17 am Thom Brown wrote:
> >> These are in my env output:
> >>
> >> PATH=/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/:/usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm:/usr/loca
> >> l/s bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> >> PGDATA=/home/thom/Development/data/
> >> PGPORT=5488
> >>
> >> This appears in my build script before configure:
> >>
> >> export PGDATA=$HOME/Development/data/
> >> export PATH=$HOME/Development/psql/bin/:$PATH
> >> export PGPORT=5488
> >>
> >> And those 3 lines also appear in my .bashrc file without any variation:
> >>
> >> export PGDATA=$HOME/Development/data/
> >> export PATH=$HOME/Development/psql/bin/:$PATH
> >> export PGPORT=5488
> >
> > And you are sure there is no pg_ctl or initdb outside
> > /usr/lib/postgresql/9.1/bin or /home/thom/Development/psql/bin and in
> > your PATH?

So that would be no:)?

> > Just for grins what happens if you try an initdb using an explicit
> > reference to the binary /home/thom/Development/psql/bin/initdb and the
> > -D
> > /home/thom/Development/data/ ?
>
> thom@swift:~/Development$ /home/thom/Development/psql/bin/initdb -E
> 'UTF8' -D /home/thom/Development/data/
> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "thom".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_GB.UTF-8.
> The default text search configuration will be set to "english".
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory /home/thom/Development/data ... ok
> creating subdirectories ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in /home/thom/Development/data/base/1 ...
> FATAL:  could not remove old lock file "postmaster.pid": No such file
> or directory
> HINT:  The file seems accidentally left over, but it could not be
> removed. Please remove the file by hand and try again.
> child process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "/home/thom/Development/data"

Its official, I'm stumped.  Information seems to be persisting between sessions
and absent some other cluster then the ones you have indicated I don't where
that information is coming from?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com