Re: Why so few built-in range types? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Why so few built-in range types?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > Erm, isn't there a contrib type that already does all that for you..?
> > ip4r or whatever?  Just saying, if you're looking for that capability..
>
> Oh, huh, good to know.  Still, I'm not sure why you need to load a
> separate type to get this... there's no reason why the built-in CIDR
> type couldn't support it.

The semantics of that type aren't what people actually want and there's
been push-back about changing it due to backwards compatibility, etc.
That's my recollection of the situation, anyway.  I'm sure there's all
kinds of fun talk in the archives about it.
Thanks,
    Stephen