Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From ktm@rice.edu
Subject Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 03:48:11PM +0100, Albe Laurenz wrote:

> I experimented some more on a recent system (RHEL6, OpenSSL 1.0.0-fips),
> and it is as you say. Disabling OpenSSL compression in the source (which
> is possible since OpenSSL 1.0.0) does not give me any performance
> improvement.
>
> Seems you pretty much have to live with at most 1/4 of the performance
> if you want to SELECT large images using SSL.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

Have you tried different ciphers? RC4 is much lighter weight CPU-wise
then the typically negotiated cipher. AES128 is also not bad if you
have the newer Intel chips with the hardware encryption support. Just
another thing to check.

Regards,
Ken