Re: Extraneous Files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: Extraneous Files
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 02:32:18PM -0400, Scott Mead wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Ian Harding <harding.ian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If someone happened to accidentally end up with a lot of files that
> > were NOT part of their database in the data/base/XXXXX directory, how
> > could they go about getting a reliable list of files they could safely
> > delete?  The files were there before the current incarnation of the
> > database, so have ctime before the good ones, but may be valid because
> > they were updated by rsync, but I don't know that mtime is reliable
> > for every file either, since some may have been unchanged from the
> > first time this someone ran rsync.
> >
> > Not a super big deal, just wasting a lot of space...
> >

> It is a big deal, one should NEVER EVER manually delete files from under the
> data directory.  If you want to remove the data,

Well, Ian isn't talking about removing data. What he was
asking (I believe) is how to remove from the data directory
files which got nothing to do with the database in question
(but probably look like database files because, say, someone
copied *another* database into the directory ;-)

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346