Re: I/O error on data file, can't run backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: I/O error on data file, can't run backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 5. October 2011 22.41.49 Tom Lane wrote:
> Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif@solumslekt.org> writes:

> > I'm gonna move the data to another disk right now.
>
> Good plan.

Couple of things I forgot to mention, in case it matters:

The disk is a 1 TB Seagate Barracuda S-ATA, and it has been in use for about a
year. I've been using this brand since way back around 1998 without any
problems, but have never used any disk more than 3 years. The file system is
ext3.

I had a hang on the machine a few hours earlier that required a power-off
reboot. That has been a problem with this rig since I built it about a year
ago, it's probably a funky connection somewhere. This may be the direct cause
of the I/O error, which also may mean that the disk is not to blame.

I'm so used to postgres and everything else coming up without a hiccup after a
power-off that I don't usually pay much attention to it. But I'm certainly
going to rework my backup strategy, and keep several generations.

regards, Leif