Re: [pgadmin-support] Help for Migration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [pgadmin-support] Help for Migration
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 12:17:28PM +0000, Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to migrate a very small MS SQL Server Database (with 200
> records max, 20 tables, 10 stored procedures) to PostgreSQL. I tried
> browsing through internet to find technical steps but I found some
> blogs with vague discussion for same. Kindly let me know where to
> look for the information or even better if I can get some document
> from the community for the same.

The table structures shouldn't be a problem to do fairly mechanically,
and at worst you can simply hand-type in the data.  The stored
procedures will be a problem at two levels:

1.  You'll have to translate them into a language PostgreSQL can use
from (I'm guessing here, but it's usually a good guess in these
situations) T-SQL.

2.  PostgreSQL functions, which are similar in many ways to stored
procedures, have a fundamental difference: they can't control
transactions.  Any stored procedures that have a COMMIT or ROLLBACK in
them will have to be re-architected in a fundamental way.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!