Re: Geni outage - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: Geni outage
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday 4. August 2011 18.55.05 Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 8/4/11 8:50 AM, Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:
> > http://www.geni.com/blog/last-weekends-outage-368211.html
> >
> > It's interesting that they're using PostgreSQL, but I wonder what really
> > happened.
>
> My guess is either administrator error or they aren't running a fully
> patched version.  However, they could have discovered a new bug; I'd
> imagine that they have some really huge GiST indexes.

«The issues that caused the outage were with Geni’s PostgreSQL database.
 We know that hardware issues or data corruption were not the root of
the problem, and we suspect that it was an issue with the database’s

I have a feeling that if they had chosen $(your favourite commercial database)
and issued such a statement, a host of lawyers from $(your favourite
commercial database) now would have been all over their site, demanding an
answer why they'd think $(your favourite commercial database) was to blame for
the situation.

regards, Leif