Re: Enhanced psql in core? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Enhanced psql in core?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> You can't *today*.  But it's a very good question whether it wouldn't
> make more sense to solve these problems by extending DO rather than
> adding things into psql.  Functionality in DO will be available to
> non-psql clients.

I don't think we're ever going to have DO able to do cross-database
things, or top-level transaction control, etc.  Perhaps, some day, we'll
have a way to do that kind of thing in the back-end (I certainly hope
so, and Berkus had posted a lot of good thoughts about that not too long
ago), but even so, I think it'd be great to have some real scripting
capability in psql and I'm all for fixing the variable handling w/
a ":{var}" capability..
Thanks,
    Stephen