Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
Date
Re: Deriving release notes from git commit messages
List pgsql-hackers
On Saturday, July 02, 2011 06:10:43 AM Tom Lane wrote:
> I wouldn't have a problem with establishing a convention that we
> write credits in commit messages in a more standardized way, ie put
> something like "Author: Joe Blow <joe@blow.nom>" in the body of the
> commit message.  However, the points that were raised about commit
> messages being effectively uncorrectable after-the-fact seem to me
> to put a big crimp in the idea of using that as the primary source
> of credit information.  We'd still need something like the web app
> Robert described in <BANLkTimOxDA08qM4LSH4QjA3YZtyuuewsA@mail.gmail.com>
> to allow correction of the info.
There are git notes which you can attach to a commit after the fact... I like
the fact that they would keep the information in the repository (where they
seem to belong).

Andres