Re: Oracle / PostgreSQL comparison... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Uwe Schroeder
Subject Re: Oracle / PostgreSQL comparison...
Date
List pgsql-general

> > http://cglendenningoracle.blogspot.com/2011/06/oracle-vs-postgres-postgre
> > sql.html
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> Amusing.
>
> "
> What kind of support is available if we have a problem? What is their
> patching schedule to address exploits and known security defects? If
> there is a bug, how responsive is the organization to resolving the
> issue? These are questions that imply a need to have an organization
> behind your technology. In this case, clearly PostgreSQL is not an
> appropriate choice, because you won't get acceptable answers to these
> questions for any open source software.
> "
>
> Um.  What?  Let's look at this:
>
>    "What kind of support is available if we have a problem?"  With
>    PostgreSQL, I can correspond with *the people that wrote the
>    code*.  They're friendly, responsive, and are very reasonable
>    about looking at possible bugs.  Every time I have emailed the
>    community lists for help, I have received reasonable answers
>    within a few hours (usually *under* an hour).  I've never found
>    a bug, but I've seen plenty of them squashed, as the developers
>    themselves admit a mistake and announce a fix.

I've got support and even a permanent fix in HEAD for a problem I reported a
while ago in under 24 hours. Oracle would never ever do that, particularly not
for free (as in beer - which reminds me, we should collect a couple bucks on
this list and send a beer and pizza truck over to Tom :-)) )

Back in the day I've worked for Sun and IBM in tech support. Both companies
stressed on large customers (i.e. BMW would get their own highly skilled
technician stationed on site). All I can say is: "it's amazing what kind of
support you can get for 3.3 Million a year" :-)

Uwe