Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.4.8 bringing my website down every evening
Date
List pgsql-general
At 04:13 AM 6/20/2011, Alexander Farber wrote:
>why add a begin/commit if I only
>have SELECT statements
>there (in the default mode) and
>the data isn't critical to me
>(just some player statistics and
>notes by other players - i.e.
>a statistic or note is ok to be lost
>occasionally)?

If you're not intending to write anything to the database you could
try do a rollback instead of commit.

I'm not familiar with your system, but if you are getting

>   SQLSTATE[25P02]: In failed sql transaction:
>   7 ERROR: current   transaction is aborted,
>   commands ignored until end of transaction block

Maybe you can do a rollback, begin, followed by your sql statements
then rollback again.

You would get warnings for a rollback followed by rollback, but they
might not be fatal (not sure about your config).

There might be a problem with one of the SQL queries and that's why
it cannot be committed.

Alternatively the program logic might be bypassing a COMMIT. A BEGIN
followed by a BEGIN would cause an "already in transaction" error
which would cause the "transaction is aborted" problem.

Regards,
Link.