Re: pg_upgrade using appname to lock out other users - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: pg_upgrade using appname to lock out other users
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 09:48:12AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> > > As an operations guy, the idea of an upgrade using a random,
> > > non-repeatable port selection gives me the hebejeebees.
> >
> > Yeah, I agree.  The latest version of the patch doesn't appear to have
> > any random component to it, though --- it just expects the user to
> > provide port numbers as switches.
>
> Oh, you wanted pg_upgrade to pick a random port number?  I can do that,
> but how would it check to see it is unused?

Oh, no!  Lost in translation - randomness in this context would be bad.

Heebee-jeebees (usual spelling, I guess)

"(idiom) used to describe a feeling of anxiety, apprehension, depression
or illness"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heebie-jeebies

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166