Re: You could be a PostgreSQL Patch Reviewer! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: You could be a PostgreSQL Patch Reviewer!
Date
List pgsql-general

> > I have no knowledge on the subject one way or the other, that's why
> > I'm asking.. If the answer is "no, there would be no benefit" then
> > that's the answer.. However, it seems like generating UUIDs in Win64
> > has been broken, perhaps, forever which is why I question if there's a
> > better library to use on the Windows platform (or having a single UUID
> > generator built in for all platforms)..
>
> We don't know of a better UUID generator, and barring evidence to the contrary, it seems much more efficient to
contributeto the uuid-ossp project than to invent our own.  As far as I can tell, the UUID extension is designed to
supportconfigurable UUID libraries, so if you could find one which worked well for Windows, it would probably be fairly
easyto extend UUID to support it.

The Windows system API has functions built into the OS for generating
UUIDs, for example:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379322

I have almost no experience using this, but it might be worth investigating
if PostgreSQL's code is abstract enough to use different implementations
and the ossp library is not reliable on Windows.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com