Re: determine client os - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: determine client os
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 09:35:52AM +0300, Sim Zacks wrote:

> >Sim Zacks<sim@compulab.co.il>  writes:
> >>All the suggestions given are for the server OS :-(
> >>My purpose is to be able to return a correct file path to the client
> >>without it specifying the OS.
> >File path?  Seems to me that even if you knew the client OS, that'd
> >provide next to no information about the installation pathnames of the
> >client software.  Maybe you need to be a bit clearer about what you're
> >trying to accomplish.
> >
> >            regards, tom lane
> It is much simpler then that. My data includes file references.
> One table has the filename with a path placeholder and another table
> contains the windows and linux versions of the full path. This is for
> an intranet and we _always_ have the same drive letters (windows) and
> mount paths (linux) for every client. When the client requests data
> that includes a file reference, I want to send the relevant path.

Send both and have the client select the one it needs.

If you don't want to need to know on the client side just
try both. One will work. If both don't there's a problem
somewhere.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346