Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: reducing the overhead of frequent table locks - now, with WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> I note that if 2nd Quadrant is interested in having a game-changing
> platform without having to wait a full year for 9.2, they can obviously
> distribute a modified version of Postgres that integrates Robert's
> patch.

Having thought about this, I've got to agree with Alvaro on this one.
The people who need this patch are likely to pull it down and patch it
in and use it, regardless of if it's in a release or not.  My money is
that Treat's already got it running on some massive prod system that he
supports ( ;) ).

If we get it into the first CF of 9.2 then people are going to be even
more likely to pull it down and back-patch it into 9.1.  As soon as we
wrap up CF1 and put out our first alpha, the performance testers will
have something to point at and say "look!  PG scales *even better* now!"
and they're not going to particularly care that it's an alpha and the
blog-o-sphere isn't going to either, especially if we can say "and it'll
be in the next release which is scheduled for May".

So, all-in-all, -1 from me on trying to get this into 9.1.  Let's get
9.1 done and out the door already, hopefully before summer saps away
*too* many resources..
Thanks,
    Stephen