Re: Patch by request at pgcon - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Patch by request at pgcon
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> Excerpts from Greg Stark's message of jue may 19 12:11:29 -0400 2011:
> > Adding such a feature would be pretty trivial, attached is a patch.
>
> Interesting, but not so trivial I think -- I mean if you're doing this I
> think you should add a column with the nominal position of the column in
> the table, so that it enables you to find it quickly in the other sort
> order.

Afraid that I have to disagree..  The attnum (or, really, worse, since
you'd have to actually count/number the non-dropped columns only..)
doesn't strike me as being useful to the user for much of anything,
especially since we don't have the number anywhere in the default
listing.
Thanks,
    Stephen