Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Kenneth Marshall
Subject Re: REINDEX takes half a day (and still not complete!)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 05:26:36PM +0800, Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > On 04/23/2011 03:44 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

> >> An upgrade would probably help you a lot, and as others have said it
> >> sounds like your hardware is failing, so you probably want to deal with that
> >> first.
> >>
> >> I am a bit surprised, however, that no one seems to have mentioned using
> >> CLUSTER rather than VACUUM or REINDEX. Sometimes that's worth a try...
> >>

> > Don't know if it was for this reason or not for not mentioning it by others,
> > but CLUSTER isn't so great in 8.2. ?The whole "not MVCC-safe" bit does not
> > inspire confidence on a production server.
>

> To everyone. Thanks so much for everything, truly. We have managed to
> salvage the data by exporting it in bits and pieces.
>
> 1. First the schema only
> 2. Then pg_dump of specific small tables
> 3. Then pg_dump of timed bits of the big mammoth table
>
> Not to jinx it, but the newer hardware seems to be doing well. I am on
> 9.0.4 now and it's pretty fast.
>
> Also, as has been mentioned in this thread and other discussions on
> the list, just doing a dump and then fresh reload has compacted the DB
> to nearly 1/3rd of its previously reported size!
>
> I suppose that's what I am going to do on a periodic basis from now
> on. There is a lot of DELETE/UPDATE activity. But I wonder if the
> vacuum stuff really should do something that's similar in function?
> What do the high-end enterprise folks do -- surely they can't be
> dumping/restoring every quarter or so....or are they?
>
> Anyway, many many thanks to the lovely folks on this list. Much appreciated!

The autovacuum and space management in 9.0 is dramatically more effective
and efficient then that of 8.2. Unless you have an odd corner-case there
really should be no reason for a periodic dump/restore. This is not your
grandmother's Oldsmobile... :)

Regards,
Ken