Re: 10 missing features - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: 10 missing features
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:29:43AM -0600, mark wrote:
> One or two of his points are on my list as well, but as far as a TOP 10
> missing features that PG "needs" his probably aren't anywhere close to what
> the majority of people are in need of.

When I had to hire Postgres DBAs, I hated hiring people coming from an
Oracle background, because most Oracle DBAs are so used to doing
things how you do stuff in Oracle that learning how to do things with
a different mindset took a lot of time.

The biggest problem, I found, was the difference in approach to the
interaction with the operating sytem.  Oracle is basically designed to
take over the host system, and Oracle DBAs then start looking in
Postgres for features that, from Postgres's point of view, are
features that the OS should be offering.

You can see this in certain items in the top 10.  Three, four, five,
seven, maybe 8 eight, and ten all seemed to me to be things I've
actually done before, but not using something directly inside
Postgres.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca