Re: Background fsck - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Background fsck
Date
List pgsql-performance
Στις Friday 08 April 2011 08:55:51 ο/η Ireneusz Pluta έγραψε:
> Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> >
> > In anyway, having FreeBSD to fsck, (background or not) should not happen. And the problem
> > becomes bigger when cheap SATA drives will cheat about their write cache being flushed to the disk.
> > So in the common case with cheap hardware, it is wise to have a UPS connected and being monitored
> > by the system.
> >

> It's not lack of UPS. Power issues are taken care of here. It's a buggy 3ware controller which hangs
> the machine ocassionally and the only way to have it come back is to power cycle, hard reset is not
> enough.

What has happened to me (as Greg mentioned) is that repeatedly interrupted background fscks (having the system
crash while background fsck was executing) might result in a seriously damaged fs.
Add to this, the possible overhead by rebuilding software raid (gmirror) at the same time,
and the situation becomes more complicated.

So its better to replace/fix/remove this buggy controller, before anything else.

--
Achilleas Mantzios