Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: Problem with streaming replication, backups, and recovery (9.0.x)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 05:43:15PM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> wrote:
>
> > have you seen this mail -
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-03/msg01490.php
>
> One more thing: Am I correct in understanding that you are trying to
> do a PITR-style backup without using pg_start_backup() and
> pg_stop_backup()?  If so, why?

because this is backup on slave, and the point was to make the backup
work without *any* bothering master.

so far it worked fine. and generally even with 9.0 it still works, and
backup *can* be used to setup new pg instance. but it cannot be used to
make sr slave, which we could later on promote.

Best regards,

depesz

--
The best thing about modern society is how easy it is to avoid contact with it.
                  http://depesz.com/