Re: Top five challenges - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Top five challenges
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from sad's message of mié mar 02 10:23:53 -0300 2011:

> > >Why are you using Timestamp-no-tz at all?  I was thinking we should
> > >change the default ...
> >
> > Why did u introduced it?
>
> The standard requires the current behavior.  It's not going to change.
> It changed in 7.1 or so.

And we document why the default is so odd:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES

    Note: The SQL standard requires that writing just timestamp be
    equivalent to timestamp without time zone, and PostgreSQL honors that
    behavior. (Releases prior to 7.3 treated it as timestamp with time
    zone.)