Re: School teacher in need of HELP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: School teacher in need of HELP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:33:50 pm hbailey17@nyc.rr.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I have no IT experience and no funding to hire a technical person or
> resources to take a training course. Also my friends who have programming
> background have not been reliable. I am willing to spend the necessary
> months in trying to learn how to use an SQL program.  I just installed
> PostgresSQL 9.0. While trying to read through the documentation I
> proceeded to chpt. 1.3 Creating a Database, which commands I followed.
> Chpt. 1.4 Accessing a Datebase commands are confusing. I tried to enter
> the commands on the SQL Shell(psql) from which line 1 reads Server
> [localhost], line 2 –Database[postgres]: and I entered postgres, line 3 –
> Port[____], which number I entered), line 4 - Username[postgres], where I
> entered postgres, line 5 Password for the postres:     ....... which
> returned the message FATAL : password authentication failed for user
> “postgres”..... Press any key to continue.
>
> Can you help me understand how to start accessing the server database
> capabilities and/or mention on online support blog.
>
> Thanking you in advance,
> Hilary

First what platform(Windows,Linux,Mac) are you using?
How did you install Postgres?
My guess is that the database was set with trust authentication, this means you
do not have to supply a password. Try the command without a password.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com