Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: database is bigger after dump/restore - why? (60 GB to 109 GB)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:34:02 pm Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
> Hi.  We're running Postgres 8.4.4 everywhere.
>
> I already have a pg_dump -Fc of the big table from the source, now
> I am running a pg_dump -Fc on the recipient, to see if the size is
> different.

I thought you already had a pg_dump file that you where restoring to the second
db?

> Then I will run a pg_dump as text, so I can diff the two files if they are
> different in size.

You don't need to do that if the pg_dump was done using -Fc. You can use
pg_restore to dump a table to a file instead of a database. When it does that
the file will contain a plain text copy. Something like:

pg_restore -a -t really_big_table -f really_big_table_data.sql

Where -a is data only

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com