Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 Streaming Replication Configuration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ray Stell
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 Streaming Replication Configuration
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 08:51:42PM -0600, Ogden wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:47 PM, Ray Stell wrote:
>

> > pg_controldata command is helpful.
> >
> > Archiving wal not required, but you can roll it either way.
> >

> That is my confusion - Archiving wal does not conflict in any way with streaming replication? What if streaming
replicationlags behind (especially with a lot of connections).

I don't know about the "any way" deal.  The admin cookbook says:

"There are two main ways to set up streaming replication: with or without
an additional archive. Set up without an external archive is presented
here, as it is both the most simple and efficient way. There is one
downside that suggests the simple approach may not be appropriate for
larger databases, explained later in the recipe."

It looks like that has to do with the initial backup for building the
standby taking to long.