Re: Allowing multiple concurrent base backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Allowing multiple concurrent base backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:06:18AM -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > It makes it very convenient to set up standbys, without having to worry
> > that you'll conflict e.g with a nightly backup. I don't imagine people
> > will use streaming base backups for very large databases anyway.
>
> Also, imagine that you're provisioning a 10-node replication cluster on
> EC2.  This would make that worlds easier.

Hmm, perhaps. My concern is that a naive attempt to do that is going to
have 10 base-backups happening at the same time, completely slamming the
master, and none of them completing is a reasonable time. Is this
possible, or is it that simultaneity will buy you hot caches and backup
#2 -> #10 all run faster?

Ross
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166