Re: Root user commands - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: Root user commands
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 22. December 2010 20.03.23 Bob Pawley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am attempting to see if my Postgresql installation is running.
>
> I’ve found this -
> [root user only] ./database_service.pl status
>
> I don’t understand what is meant by root user.
>
> I also don’t know how “./database_service.pl status” is used.
>
> Bob

You don't tell where you found this information.

If you don't know what a "root user" is, you're probably on Windows. On
*nix systems, root is the privileged user who can do all the things a
normal user isn't allowed to do, like modifying system files.

The 'database_service.pl' is a Perl script. Perl is a fairly default
installation on *nix systems, there also exist builds for Windows. I
used the Komodo flavor way back when.

regards,
Leif