Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to restore from backup to 8.4.3 server using 9.0 dump/restore
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday 15 December 2010 11:55:24 am Andrus Moor wrote:
> > I got to thinking more about this. How are the databases administered? In
> > other
> > words how are they started/stopped, upgraded, logs read, etc?
>
> Databases are working many years in 24x7 mode without administration.
> For every new new site newest PostgreSql was installed.
>
> Andrus.

Another testimonial to the stability of Postgres :) We may be arguing semantics
here but I would consider dump/restore an admin function. How do you handle a
client restoring a database currently?  I could see a client connecting to one
of the system dbs and doing a DROP DATABASE. From your earlier messages the
implication was that you used pg_restore to repopulate the db. My question then
is how do the clients make sure that they are not doing this on an active
database and keep it from going active during the process?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com