Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrading 8.2 to 8.4: pg_restore: did not find magic string in file header\n
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 19 November 2010 8:29:38 am Tom Lane wrote:
> Andreas Laggner <andreas.laggner@vti.bund.de> writes:
> > i cannot restore my data from 8.2 to 8.4 because i always get this error
> > message, does anyone know what to do??
>
> It sounds like you're trying to use pg_restore on a plain-text (SQL
> script) dump file.  Run it through psql, instead.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Out of curiosity what would trigger this? When I have tried to run a plain text
file through pg_restore I get:

aklaver@tucker:~$ pg_restore -d test -U postgres test.sql
pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com