Re: Slow count(*) again... - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Neil Whelchel
Subject Re: Slow count(*) again...
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sunday 10 October 2010 05:02:03 Віталій Тимчишин wrote:
> 2010/10/10 Neil Whelchel <neil.whelchel@gmail.com>
>
> > On Saturday 09 October 2010 18:47:34 Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > count(*)

> > in

> > time,

> > point

> > the

> > > 99% of the time in the situations you don't need an exact measure, and
> > > assuming analyze has run recently, select rel_tuples from pg_class for
> > > a given table is more than close enough.  I'm sure wrapping that in a
> > > simple estimated_rows() function would be easy enough to do.
> >
> > This is a very good approach and it works very well when you are counting
> > the
> > entire table, but when you have no control over the WHERE clause, it
> > doesn't
> > help. IE: someone puts in a word to look for in a web form.
> >
> > From my perspective, this issue is the biggest problem there is when
> > using Postgres to create web pages, and it is so commonly used, I think
> > that there
> > should be a specific way to deal with it so that you don't have to run
> > the same WHERE clause twice.
> > IE: SELECT count(*) FROM <table> WHERE <clause>; to get the total amount
> > of items to make page navigation links, then:
> > SELECT <columns> FROM table WHERE <clause> LIMIT <items_per_page> OFFSET
> > <(page_no-1)*items_per_page>; to get the actual page contents.
> >
> > How about
>
> select * from (select *, count(*) over () as total_count from <table> where
> <clause)  a LIMIT <items_per_page> OFFSET
> <(page_no-1)*items_per_page>
> It will return you total_count column with equal value in each row. You may
> have problems if no rows are returned (e.g. page num is too high).

I have done this before, but the speedup from the two hits to the database
that I mentioned above is tiny, just a few ms. It seems to end up doing about
the same thing on the database end. The reason that I don't commonly do this
is what you said about not getting a count result if you run off the end.
-Neil-