Re: A thought about other open source projects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: A thought about other open source projects
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:08:34AM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Sunday 20 June 2010, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On lör, 2010-06-19 at 22:56 +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> > > These projects need help to realise that adding Postgresql is
> > > not a big job, especially for those using JDBC which can already
> > > connect to all DBs.  It strikes me that if the project could
> > > write a few pages gleaned from other porting operations, then
> > > whenever a project like this is found they can be pointed to
> > > these pages and shown how easy it is to do.
> >

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreS
> > QL
> >
> Excellent, I had not realised this existed.  I will point any
> projects I meet which have not found Postrgesql goodness at this
> page.  Thank you.
>
> I don't support anyone has written a "how to write database agnostic
> code" guide?

I have. :)

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/32-Portability-Part-I.html
http://people.planetpostgresql.org/dfetter/index.php?/archives/33-Portability-Part-II.html

> That way its not a matter of porting, more a matter of starting off
> right.

You're assuming that the goal of "database agnostic code" is
reasonable.  I'd take a hard look at the trade-offs first.  "Database
agnostic code" sounds like a reasonable idea until you've had to
maintain such code for a few years.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!